PRIO's purpose is to conduct research for a more peaceful world, and we are committed to using the best of what technology has to offer in achieving that purpose. Having been at the forefront of data-driven social science research since its foundation in 1959, PRIO seeks its position as a world leader in developing innovative research programs by strengthening its data science competence. To achieve this, PRIO invites applications for 1-2 positions as Data Scientist.
We are looking for candidates with a "can-do" attitude and a desire to learn and develop the field of peace research. We offer challenging programming tasks and substantial learning opportunities within a positive, dynamic, and international research environment.
Main tasks and responsibilities include:
- Build and maintain solutions for data collection, organization, and visualization.
- Support researchers' analytical work through assistance in organization, sharing, and optimization of code.
- Contribute to research projects that require advanced programming solutions.
- Follow current policy discussions on open data and provide support to PRIO research staff in following best practices for data sharing and management.
- Ensure implementation of data privacy and manage other ethics and security concerns for data solutions in research projects.
You should fulfill the following requirements:
- Extensive experience managing and curating data (SQL databases, a variety of tabular data-storage file types, knowledge of the Linux command line and file system, geo-referenced data and GIS, git, etc.).
- Proficiency in the Python data science stack (numpy, scipy, matplotlib, etc.).
- Knowledge of statistical methods, including machine learning.
- Experience and interest in developing web-based data solutions using modern web technologies.
- Experience with data visualization on the web (d3, plotly, Leaflet, R Shiny, etc.).
- Experience with GitHub and collaborative code writing.
- Knowledge of quantitative social science research.
- Familiarity with current research policy discussions around open data, FAIR data principles, and data sharing infrastructure.
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Work well in a team, but also operate well independently.
- Be fluent in English.
- Master's degree in a relevant field.
PRIO is located in attractive premises in central Oslo. We offer salary according to qualifications, group life insurance, and membership in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund. PRIO has a dynamic work environment with an international staff of approximately 120 members in full and part-time positions. The working language at the institute is English. PRIO is an equal opportunity employer and values staff diversity.
Applications should be written in English and include:
- Letter of application.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Transcripts of academic degrees.
- Names and contact details of three references.
Applications must be submitted using the online form linked above.
Deadline for applications is 3 February 2022
For further information about the position, please contact Senior Researcher Jonas Vestby (email@example.com), tel. +47 92616261. For further information about the recruitment process or the submission of your application, please contact Institute Adviser Cathrine Bye (firstname.lastname@example.org), tel. +47 22 54 77 15.