In this seminar we will discuss the findings resulting in the book The Internet and Political Protest in Autocracies, written by Nils B. Weidmann and Espen Geelmuyden Rød. Their research has studied this in the context of the Arab Spring.
- A light lunch will be served from 11:30
About the book:
- Presents a new theory for why the Internet can foster protest but also prevent it
- Introduces a new dataset on political protest in autocracies
- Presents a fine-grained, disaggregated study of political protest at the level of cities in more than 60 autocratic countries
- Illustrates how autocratic control of the population increasingly employs digital tactics